Asset protection for you and your family
Speak to our For Life team
Trusts can be vital tools in protecting your assets and the people you love the most.
From Inheritance Tax planning to family trusts, our dedicated team can guide you through the complexities of creating and managing your trust. A trust can enable you to transfer assets to one or more trustees to hold and manage for the purposes you have set out. Different types of trust can be used according to the particular circumstances and our lawyers have the expertise necessary to help you decide what kind of trust is most suitable for you.
Our highly qualified team includes members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) who have undertaken additional training to further their knowledge in the sector. STEP provides a mark of distinction in trust and estate planning.
Trusts range from:
- Trusts for asset protection. We can look at how using a trust may assist you in mitigating your liability to Inheritance Tax or managing the impact of residential care costs so that your money and property can be passed down to future generations.
- Family Trusts, whether liferent or discretionary. We understand that sensitive family issues can lie at the heart of your decision to set up a trust and we can give sympathetic and practical advice on how best to manage this process.
- Vulnerable Beneficiary Trusts. These types of trust are commonly used where a beneficiary has a disability or suffers from reduced capacity. They must be drafted in a particular way to benefit from specialist tax treatment.
- Personal Injury Trusts. Where someone is awarded compensation following an accident or injury, we can help set up a trust that protects their entitlement to state benefits.
- Charitable Trusts and SCIOs. Scots Law has strict rules about how a charity is set up and run. We can guide you through the maze of regulations and give advice on all aspects of organising and running your charity.
Our firm is accredited by the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, an international organisation made up of professionals with expertise in handling matters relating to trusts, tax and inheritance. Call one of our knowledgeable solicitors today for specialist advice in this area.